What tenants should do when our office is closed:

If you experience a problem at the property which you would deem to be an emergency and our office is closed. You can call one of our regular contractors for advice or call our emergency number.

The numbers listed should only be used in an emergency. In the event the problem is not deemed an emergency you may incur a charge for any call out.

Familiarise yourself with the property, locate the stopcock valve and fuse board or trip switches. Read any manuals for troubleshooting guidance.

Homebase Management Out of Hours No. 07572 401 089 Please leave a voicemail or text and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

Plumbing: Jerald 07850 474 803
Heating: Stuart 07711 022 410
Locks or Windows: Rob 07702809477
Electrician: Paul 07973 886 716
Thames Water: 0800 714 614
National Grid Gas emergencies: 0800 111 999

Failing all of the above and you need someone immediately which can’t wait, we recommend that you contact a 24hr emergency contact for a local tradesman you can find online or in the phone book.